KPS - History
Attempts to establish a public school at Kiama commenced with a public meeting on 3 November 1857. The school, however, did not open until May 1861. The first teacher, James Hustler, had previously conducted a private school in the town. Trouble between residents and the Teacher, Grenado Chapman, led to the closure of the school in April 1867. The local Board of Public Education remained active and worked to re-establish the school. In January 1870 a tender by John Brown of Wollongong was accepted for £1123.15 for the erection and furnishing of a single storeyed schoolroom. This school, with John Stewart as the teacher, opened on 5 April 1871.
The school was rapidly growing and more space was need for the students. In 1965, a new school was built on a different site in Thompson Street. This catered for years 3-6, while the original building on Black Beach held Kindergarten to year 2.
In 1998, the first of the renovations began. The library at the primary school was demolished along with 2 other classrooms. 8 new classrooms, a library, staffroom and offices were built in its place.
The original classrooms on the site were also gutted and refurbished ready for the amalgamation of the infants students. A new hall and canteen were built adjacent to the new classrooms and opened in early 2001.
In 2001, the school was amalgamated, with all years now in the new buildings. The Bombo building which was one of the original buildings at the old Infants school was also relocated and refurbished.
The Bombo Room was originally shifted from Bombo School when it closed in 1948 to the Infants site. Then, in 2001, it made its final journey to the Bombo Street site to symbolise the coming together of two sites at long last.
More playground space has since been provided with the opening of the horse paddock in late 2004.
Further projects under the Investing in Our Schools program, National Pride funding, the federal government's BER project and joint funding ventures by our P&C and the state government have enhanced the school's appearance and functionality. These include covered walkways, COLA extensions, a special programs room and an outdoor learning area.
Finally, the installation of a security fence enhances safety for all.
1861 - Education established in Kiama
1965 - Current site opened for primary students
1999 - Extensive work started to construct new facilities
2001 - Two separate sites amalgamated on the one site
2001 - The 'Horse Paddock' establised as free playing area
2006 - Refurbished site officially opened
2011 - Kiama Public School celebrated 150 years of public education in Kiama
Kiama Infants School Building - 1977 (now part of The Sebel Hotel site)